Sunday, October 10, 2010

Making Home A Haven: Playing Catch Up

Courtney over at Women Living Well is hosting yet another challenge.



I was very excited about the challenge... My life is very hectic right now.  I am trying to juggle many ministry activities (fall semester is often the busiest for those in ministry and it is definitely true for me), doing school on my days off, still trying to find time to invest in those dear to my heart, focusing on being a better wife, and doing all that without forgetting about my personal relationship with the Lord.

Needless to say, my home is not always getting the attention it needs (but that's about to change).

I was even more excited about the challenge when I realized that I already had a nice big candle that someone blessed me with...

Remember the juggling?

So here I am - it is already Sunday - the challenge's been going on - and... I keep forgetting to even light the candle (leave alone praying for my home when I do)...  I guess that is what this challenge will be all about for me - decluttering my own self first... focusing myself on my home and my husband even in the midst of my busiest season in life...

Let me share with you the most important lesson I've learned so far.

You may try so hard to please your husband that you forget to do what actually pleases him.

My beloved husband turned 30 this week.  I was so determined to make it extra-special for him that for the past year and a half I have been secretly saving up for a surprise trip for the two of us.  Everything was falling in place.  We flew to Phoenix AZ on a Sunday and Bryan's dad and brothers took him out for some speed racing men time while his mom and I were putting the last details together for Bryan's surprise birthday party.  In the evening we went to a very nice hotel where we got a sweet upgrade.  But that was only a so-called appetizer.

My main gift for my husband was going jet skiing.  He's wanted to do that for years and I was thrilled that I could plan something that would make him so happy.

The fun part started when we both realized that we weren't quite sure how to get to the spot on the lake.  I had the directions and GPS service - but I was contacted by a representative in the morning with a set of directions and I was specifically told not to follow the GPS or Google Maps and use those directions only.  Before you knew it - we were arguing (as most couples do when they are uncertain of their route while traveling).  I was upset and he was upset and we were angry and we were frustrated.

And that's when it hit me.

What was the point of all my effort?  of all the money that I have so diligently saved up?  of all the stress?  What was the point of it all if I allow it to disappear in a irrelevant and ridiculous argument?  Everything I had worked so hard to plan and organize was losing its appeal in my stubborn refusal to let it go and put my husband first.

Me and my beloved husband jet skiing @ Lake Pleasant, AZ
And that's when I had to bite my tongue...

Dear ladies, how often we do that!  We spend so much energy caring for the home, doing what we think our husbands would want us to do (and they do) but then forgetting how important it is for us to simply follow them and love on them and admire them.  All our effort is lost in nagging and arguing and tension and frustration will quickly build up if you're not careful.  That's how marriages fall apart.

Today, I refuse to allow my effort and energy go wasted.

Today, I will love my husband fully.

Today, I will take care of my husband and my home - but I will do so with JOY.

What will you do today?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...