Thursday, February 18, 2010

Where Is Home?

You can never go home again, 
but the truth is you can never leave home, 
so it's all right. 
~Maya Angelou
 

It's an interesting feeling coming to a place where you lived... no longer as a rightful owner - but as a guest.


I moved to New York 7.5 years ago... yet for a while my move was uncertain due to political and immigration issues between our countries.  I kept on living in New York waiting to see what would happen.  I married a wonderful man and by that finalized my move.

I've come to visit my family before and the room I had shared with my brother was kept the same.  Even last year Bryan & I stayed at my grandma's house which was just as I remembered leaving it in 2002. 

And now I am here again.  It's no secret to anyone that my brother is the only one occupying the room now.  My books have been packed away, my bed and my desk - taken apart and thrown out.  I get to sleep on a couch in the living room.  I am a guest now.  Family visiting from another place.  Oh what a strange feeling!

And yet - despite all changes to the decor - it all breathes memories... memories that won't (and shouldn't) be replaced.

It's so good to be home with my family in Minsk - and at the same time - with the same intensity of heart - I can't wait to be back home with my family in New York

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow - well written!
know the feeling - are in a different stage right now - but also the same!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...