Monday, June 21, 2010

Love Without Reservation



Almost 2 years ago in July 2008 Bryan & I looked at each other and gave each other a promise to love each other as long as we both shall live.

Two years have passed... and even in those short two years we have had occasional moments when we felt like our marriage was not working right. But we gave each other a promise to to stay by each other through the good times AND the bad. Many young couples make a mistake thinking love is that strong irresistible passion, that uncontained drive to be with each other. But love is bigger than that. Love is what stays when all else fails.

Here's what I said to my husband on our wedding day:


I, Helen, take you, Bryan, to be my lawfully wedded husband, secure in the knowledge that you will be my constant friend, my faithful partner in life, and my one true love. On this special and holy day, I give to you in the presence of God and all these witnesses my pledge to stay by your side as your faithful wife in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow, as well as through the good times and the bad.

I promise to love you without reservation, comfort you in times of distress, encourage you to achieve all of your goals, laugh with you and cry with you, grow with you in mind and spirit, always be open and honest with you, and cherish you as long as we both shall live.


The one part that hit me (and is still a challenge for me) is "to love you without reservation". I am honestly convinced that I have worked my way through all others pretty well so far. But what does it really mean to love my husband without reservation?

That means getting off the computer when he comes home.
That means going places where he wants to go.
That means sitting on the couch with him at the end of the day.

That means NOT doing things that I consider important (looking forward to July 12th challenge)

Oh yes - and it does mean occasionally eating out at Dallas BBQ [sigh].

Our senior pastor and the founder of our ministry Pastor Bill Wilson always says, "Marriage is never 50/50. It should be 100/100". I give 100% and my husband gives 100%. That is what will make our marriage successfull.

Most importantly, for me to love my husband without reservation equaled to love him and cherish him with my 100% without expecting his 100% back.

-----------------------------------------------------

If you live in Portland, OR area - here's the web page of our wonderful photographer (who even came to New York for our wedding) - http://www.memorybookphotos.com/portlandphotographer/

-----------------------------------------------------

A few random articles:

Oldest African American Couple (as of February 2010) - married May 13, 1924

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To love someone no matter what sometimes comes easily and other times takes some effort and always takes God. *smile* Only two years into the life together still sounds so new to me, I with your and your beloved all the best as you grow in God together. Know that God has to come first and when God comes first for you and for him that all else will come into perspective. *smile* It may take a little time, but it will. *smile* Have a great day knowing God is love. Sincerely, Mommy of two little blessings & so much more!

Homemaker Honey said...

The picture on the stairwell is so cool!

Celebrate marriage by visiting my HELLO, HANDSOME! Blog Party

http://www.homemakerhoney.com/p/hello-handsome-giveaway-list.html

Deborah
Homemaker Honey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by. I agree that two years is not a long time and I am excited to see what lies ahead.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...